Squannacook Greenways logo

Construction funded by all our donors and:

Donor organizations logos

Buy-a-brick sale for Groton site reopens until Sep.30, 2022!

Help finish our rail trail by donating $150 and adding an engraved brick to the Groton end of the rail trail.
Learn more Rail trail with engraved bricks Buy a brick online

Phase 2 - Old Meetinghouse to Harbor Church - opens May 2, 2022

Thanks the Shepherd's for doing yet another great job building phase 2 of this rail trail! The official opening was May 2, 2022, so please give the new section a try!

Send us your photos from the rail trail!
Check out our trail users page to see people enjoying the Squannacook River Rail Trail! We would love to add your pictures too - just email them to info@sqgw.org.

Father Maher gives the trail a try!

Even a unicycle can ride a stone dust surface!
In memory of Steve Meehan - Sep 14, 2019

We all at Squannacook Greenways were heartbroken at the loss of our long time president and close friend Steve Meehan. Without Steve's intelligence, charm, determination and humor, this rail trail would have faded long ago, instead of rapidly approaching construction. Every time we walk or ride this rail trail for years to come, Steve will be with us in our hearts. And check out our page of pictures of Steve that also lists those who donated to our cause in his memory.

Steve Meehan signing the MBTA lease

Steve Meehan signing the MBTA lease, the culmination of 12 years of work
What is the plan for completing construction of this rail trail?

After more than a decade of work by our board and dedicated volunteers, construction of the Squannacook River Rail Trail is now well underway. Here's a brief overview of what has happened so far, and what our plans are for completion. All future phases depend on our winning grants, and so definite timetables are not yet set.

Year (Nov-Mar)/Phase Location Description
2019 Entire 3.7 mile rail trail Bill King cleared the entire 20 foot corridor of trees; Max13 installed a fence behind Sterilite

Entire 3.7 mile rail trail

Depot St. to Old Meetinghouse (Townsend)

Keystone removed the steel rails from the entire rail trail.

Shepherd's did a great job completing the first 1.1 miles of the stone dust rail trail

2021 - Phase 2 Old Meetinghouse to Harbor Church (Townsend) Thanks to Senators Cronin and Kennedy, and Representative Harrington, money is available for construction. Shepherds, the contractor who did such a great job on the first section, is also building this section. Completion expected in April 2022.
Phase 3 Northern Crosswinds to Bertozzi (Groton) Groton town meeting in May 2021 approved Community Preservation Act funding for the 20% matching funds for construction of this section. We will be applying for the other 80% of the cost through the MassTrails grant in Jan. 2022.
Phase 4 South St (Townsend) to Northern Crosswinds (Groton) Definitive plans for funding construction of the final section of the Squannacook River Rail Trail will be finalized later.
Sign up for our email list or like us on facebook

Subscribe to the Squannacook Greenways newsletter

* indicates required


Who is building the Squannacook River Rail Trail?

In a word, you! The Squannacook River Rail Trail is being built by a local non-profit, Squannacook Greenways, with money from grants and donations only. The trail will be maintained by local volunteers.

Volunteers will maintain this rail trail.

During the pandemic, Board of Directors meetings of the non-profit Squannacook Greenways are being held on-line.

Contact us at info@sqgw.org